Sunday, September 10, 2017

Just add the blasted Vanilla!

Several things in life make me feel highly uncomfortable.

1. Sitting in the front lawn.

2. When passing someone on the walking trail, making eye contact before socially acceptable to give the nod/hi/wave.

  • In case you were wondering - Give the "hi" when pushing baby in stroller. Give the hand lift wave when you are running and meet a fellow runner. Give the nod when the other person barely notices your existence.

3. Baking a goodie that doesn't call for vanilla.

4. Leftover ingredients that don't have a set purpose.




My list is actually quite longer than just these four items (e.g. arriving more than 2 minutes early to...anything, Office Depot clerks playing peek-a-boo with your baby while ringing you up, after a pregnancy announcement, the first words out of your mouth are, "Were you trying?" I could go on, but this could go downhill quickly).

Well, I'm trying to push myself. Out of the box. Comfort zone. Pushing boundaries. Whatever they call it. 

Here's a recap.

1. We sat on the front lawn.

If sitting on the front lawn, are pants even necessary?
And boy, oh boy, I didn't like it. But babies give you courage to try new experiences. (Because you always have an easy out if you just can't handle it. Sorry, gotta run - baby had a blow out, baby needs a nap, baby needs to nurse.)

But, we met our neighbor across the street. Our 96 year old neighbor who has lived in the neighborhood since it sprung up 50 years. Who built her house with her husband who has since passed away. Who had a mild heart attack several months ago. Who could use seeing a cute baby every now and then. Okay, I added in that last part. But at least could use a loaf of Oatless Banana Bread.

2. Passersby on the trail.

I got nothing. That one still bothers me.

3. Recipes sans vanilla.

My husband says I like to eat bananas when they taste like trees. Which makes for a small window when I enjoy bananas. As such, I'm always baking something with bananas. I ran across this Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread recipe. It doesn't call for vanilla. And while I normally would add it anyway, I decided to leave it out, thinking they knew what they're doing. And while they do, I don't. Since I forgot to add the oats it called for. 

So make this bread, forgot the vanilla, but do add the oats. But if you do forget to add the oats, it's still dang good.

4. Purposeless leftover ingredients.

It takes us years to go through a package of bacon. So I'm like, "Okay. Buy a package of bacon? Here's what our menu plan looks like for this week: Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps, Bacon Cheeseburgers, Club Sandwiches, Cobb Salad...help a girl out!

And then, my husband.

My amazing husband.

Came up with this concoction that ROCKED MY WORLD.

Maple Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches.


It goes like this:

Egg.


Everything is better when it's mini. Especially a mini skillet.


Cheese.

Everything is dairy much better with cheese.

Maple French Toast Bagel.

These are also delicious toasted, spread with peanut butter, and dipped in syrup.

Bacon.

With a side of bacon.

What I've learned through all this:
  • Meet your neighbors.
  • Eat more bacon.
  • Keep your eyes down on the trail until it's time to make eye contact.
  • Add the blasted vanilla, you're gonna mess up the recipe anyway.


5 comments:

  1. Now if we could just eat bacon on the front lawn while giving your neighbors a hand lift of a wave, we'd be set.

    Dang it. There's still the issue of vanilla. Oh well. Close enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While also growing zucchini on the front lawn, right??

      Delete
  2. You just wait, some day the 1 1/2 pound package of bacon won't even get you through one meal �� I may have to try your bagel sandwich next time Scott brings those home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Peter needs to start pulling his weight with eating up the bacon. If you try the sandwiches, let me know what you think. We are hooked!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness.....Laughed out loud and now will go and read more of your posts! Thank you!! ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete